Sony Vaio VPC-CW2Z1E reviews and prices: 14" Laptop computer

+ This laptop has no outstanding positive points. - It scores poorly on battery life.

No prices available

Sony Vaio VPC-CW2Z1E with Intel Core i3 i3-330M 2.13 GHz Dual Core Processor, 4GB of Memory and 500GB Storage on Windows 7 Home Premium. Blu-ray combo See full product description

Some customer reviews of Sony Vaio VPC-CW2Z1E

robert, london General home user

Score 5.0/10
Reviewer left no comment
im not happy with this laptop first of all problem with fan (noisy) i can do nothing with this it was waste of money
Battery life 3.0
Design 8.0
Size and weight 8.0
Performance 7.0

Confirmed purchase: 29 May 2010

Confirmed purchaser General home user

Small and handy.
Screen is not clear, bright. Appears dull.
Battery life 8.0
Design 7.0
Size and weight 7.0
Performance 7.0

Confirmed purchase: 16 Apr 2010

Jules, Welwyn Garden City Often on the move

Light and fast. The assist function is an excellent feature, as is the regular VAIO updates service. This is the best Laptop I have ever had by far, having been a Toshiba fan for many years. I read some good reviews in various pc magazines, and received great advice from a specialist retailer. No turning back !
Sorry, can't find any........!
Battery life 9.0
Design 10.0
Size and weight 10.0
Performance 9.0

Confirmed purchase: 16 Apr 2010

Confirmed purchaser

Score 3.0/10
It's a nice size, significantly smaller and lighter than 15" yet big enough so that it does not strain your eyes too much.
The NVIDIA display driver keeps crashing and I just purchased the computer a little over a month ago. Furthermore, the screen makes a crackling noise... could be related to the display driver crashing.

Confirmed purchase: 08 May 2010

Tom , Coventry Business user

Score 8.0/10
The battery life is excellent, I'm amazed how the capacity of Lithium Ion batteries has come along since I bought my last laptop in 2004. It's the same capacity as my last laptop, but the battery is half the size. The battery management lets you select the desired charge level as well, so by only using the center 50% of the capacity (25% to 75%), I hope to extend its life by not deeply discharging it.

As a Vaio, the design is nice, it's compact and light, and looks fairly sleek. Like all modern laptops, it feels flimsy, and I've managed to bend it by accidentally sitting on it (so it now wobbles on the desk), but to it's credit, the functionality survived this incident. It would be nice if it were a little sturdier, the screen has attracted topside scratches. I want it to last a good long time, which is why I went for something that had the higher quality brand name associated with it, but it doesn't 'feel' like it's going to. Disappointing. Still, it looks nice.

The size is small, it's a small laptop with a small screen. I wanted something with a taller screen, but you can't get those with the higher powered laptops any more, it seems. Widescreen says "Advanced technology" to the general public, but its a lot less convenient for editing A4 documents than my desktop computer! Fortunately, external monitors are not very expensive, but that's not a very portable solution!

Using the laptop mostly for work, I've not noticed any performance related issues. It starts quickly, it shuts down quickly. It does standby and hibernate faster and more conveniently than any computer I've ever used. It's got more power than I need, but when I get onto doing some simulations, we'll see. It was able to output DVD onto my external monitor while I scanned and edited documents on the laptop screen. I noticed no slowdown.

Value for money: It's a Vaio. Which means it's expensive. I'm hopeful that the 'quality' associated with the brand name will mean that the laptop will be 'quality', and I'll have no trouble with it in the next ten to fifteen years. I'm hoping I've paid for reliability, durability, long life, convenience, as well as something that is able to keep up with the latest developments. Only time will tell.
The laptop arrives LOADED with horrible pre-installed useless software. I believe the term is 'bloat-ware'. When I got it, it started up in 2 mins 44 seconds, slower than my previous laptop, bought 6 years ago. After spending the best part of SIX HOURS working out what it all did, and removing almost all of it, I managed to get the startup time down to a very respectable 42 seconds. The average user will not get the best out of this machine, it does not run optimally out of the box.
Battery life 9.0
Design 7.0
Size and weight 9.0
Performance 8.0
1 of 1 people found this review helpful

Confirmed purchase: 07 Apr 2010

bharath, vasa Music, gaming or video fan

Score 8.0/10
i like portability of this laptop, this is really small and powerfull.
design on the back of the monitor, it is very very smooth, even if we touch our finger prints are visible.
Battery life 10.0
Design 6.0
Size and weight 10.0
Performance 8.0

Confirmed purchase: 05 Apr 2010

Chris, Sheffield General home user

Blu-ray/DVD/CD drive combo provided very useful
Excellent resolution and clear display
Very reliable machine for both home use and on the move when going to college
Extremely good looking laptop
Start up time can be slow when first booting up the laptop
Sometimes issues occurred with the display turning off however it always rectified itself and was a very rare occurrence
Finger prints on the area around the touch pad and the front of the laptop required constant cleaning
Battery life 8.0
Design 9.0
Size and weight 8.0
Performance 9.0

Confirmed purchase: 03 Feb 2011

Product Features

Screen size (Inches) 14
Screen Resolution (pixels) 1280 x 720 (WXGA)
Operating system Windows 7 Home Premium
Depth in cm 23.31
Release date 2010-02-04

Also known as: Sony VAIO CW2Z1E/B, Sony VPC-CW2Z1E/B

Laptop Buyers Guide
We searched for this product high and low,
from House of Fraser to Tesco,
no one is selling it, we're sorry to say,
not 419 retailers nor anyone on eBay,
but please don't worry even if it hurts,
you can look for alternatives or