Sony Cybershot DSC-RX100 II reviews and prices: Compact camera

+ This digital camera scores high on build quality. - It has no outstanding negative points.

£435 – £629 at 7 retailers out of 419 retailers checked

Sony Cybershot DSC-RX100 II: 20.2 MP (Megapixels), 3.6x optical zoom, SD storage, Optical image stabiliser digital Compact camera. See full product description
  3. Expert reviews
  5. Related products

Some customer reviews of Sony Cybershot DSC-RX100 II

barbara, Castletown Experienced amateur

Easy to handle,light weight, well built
too expensive, small zoom
Ease of use 9.0
Image quality 9.0
3 of 5 people found this review helpful

Confirmed purchase: 30 Aug 2013

keith, Experienced amateur

Score 3.0/10
Reviewer left no comment
Really cant say anything as I have not been able to use it. The LCD screen is washed out by the late summer weather this year. I can only report a reflection of my pate in the LCD screen is realistic irrespective of the tilt I use.I can see little else. I have taken a few shots Blind, guesstimating the framing, but am too fed up to even down load them to my computer.

Fourteen pages from the end of his 357 page guide, a professional Guide Book writer says 'Personally, I have 'managed all right' using the 'Sunny Weather setting' of the LCD Brightness option on the Setup menu. He uses these things every day, what is punter supposed to know?

You spend the money, a lot, and can't take pictures in the sun unless you are in deep shade. So I have to spend 50% more than the cost of the camera on an electronic eye sight to see what you are shooting and read the menu.

I will also have to buy and crop a velcro attached mechanism to have a cable shutter release system as the shutter button is not drilled to take a conventional one.

And apart from no case or even a pouch, I will have to buy a stick on or magnetic attachment to be able to use Filter.
Ease of use 1.0
Features 9.0
Build Quality 9.0
9 of 19 people found this review helpful

Confirmed purchase: 26 Aug 2013

Nige, Bridgend, South Wales Keen amateur

Score 10.0/10
I'm not a photographer and bought this as an upgrade on a whim from a Panasonic TZ10. WOW after good advice from a photography retailer and reading internet hype and checking out Blunty on Youtube I took a very nervous plunge with a raised eyebrow from my wife I might add. I took this camera to Dubrovnik, almost everybody else had a DSLR and I was pondering had I bought the right camera? Well having gone through my pics on my Mac now I'm back home I'm blown away I'm not kidding you but I genuinly think I could pass off some of my shots as professional. Night shots and macro are simply amazing, I will post some shots on DP review as soon as I get time.
Like I said I'm not a photographer that is why I gave it an 7/10 for ease of use as I had to work it all out for myself Sony COULD and SHOULD have given you a CD or manual rather than assume by the price that only experienced photographers who knew what they were doing would buy one therefore not need instructions!
Ease of use 7.0
11 of 13 people found this review helpful

Confirmed purchase: 26 Aug 2013

jon, Experienced amateur

good, solid, dependable, excellent image quality and excellent build quality
small fiddly buttons which makes hitting the wrong one way too easy.

in auto mode, it isn't clear what is going to happen, so i can't tell if the camera will take one or three pictures, meaning that I don't know how long to hold it steady for
Ease of use 5.0
2 of 4 people found this review helpful

Confirmed purchase: 19 Aug 2013

keith, Experienced amateur

Score 8.0/10
Image quality
Size
Ease of use in all modes
Charge port lid, very flimsey
Ease of use 8.0

Benjamin, Halifax Professional photographer

Score 8.0/10
High Quality Images
Great Low Light modes
Perfect for an every day carry
Wifi functions are more limited than newer models but for the price difference this is countered out.
Ease of use 9.0
Features 8.0

Confirmed purchase: 06 Jun 2016

Michael , Hailsham Experienced amateur

This is a fantastic little camera. It's a triumph of engineering that such a small camera can deliver such quality and so many features. I would rate it at 10 across the board apart from the single 'bad' pont mentioned below.
I prefer NOT to have to use protective sheeting on the screens of mobile phones, tablets and cameras. I have left previous phones and cameras unprotected without serious problem. I have had a @580 for two years and there is not a single serious scratch on the back screen despite its being in constant use.
So I was a little distressed to find two signficant scratches on my RX100m2 after having the camera for only 3 days. I've ordered the Sony protective sheet and will of course be fitting it, but don't understand why the RX100 is apparently far less scratch-resistant than other screens.
Ease of use 10.0

Media format SDHC
Video recorder Yes
Manual Focus Yes
Flash Yes

Also known as: Sony Cybershot RX100 II, Cyber-shot RX100 II, Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 II, Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-RX100 II

Digital Cameras Buyers' Guide

Manufacturer's Description

The Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T lens on this Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100M2 digital camera features a 3.6x optical zoom to help you bring subjects into focus for detailed photos and videos. Optical SteadyShot stabilization enables clear image capture.