Sony Alpha SLT-A33 (Body Only) reviews and prices: SLR camera

Photo of Sony Alpha SLT-A33 (Body Only) Digital Camera

This digital camera is a good all rounder.

No prices available

Sony Alpha SLT-A33 (Body Only): 14.6 MP (Megapixels), SD Card storage, Optical Image Stabiliser image stabiliser digital SLR camera. See full product description

People Also Viewed

4. Related products

Some customer reviews of Sony Alpha SLT-A33 (Body Only)

Iain, Magherafelt Experienced amateur

Score 8.0/10
7 frames per second;easy to access the features which I tend to alter during shooting;good ISO range with good quality images up to 800 and still reasonable beyond this; effective image stabilisation built into camera. Has all the important features most 'prosumer' users would want without being prohibitively expensive or heavy. Having the HD video feature can be surprisingly useful, with good quality image
Battery life a little disappointing. Sound on the HD video is disappointing but I would doubt that most buyers would be buying the A-33 to use as their main video camera.
Image quality 8.0
Build Quality 8.0

Confirmed purchase: 23 Nov 2010

Sue, Cheshire Keen amateur

Great image quality, I don't know about kit lens, I use minolta's, nice & easy to use (on manual) or auto settings for amateurs like myself, build quality seems good, battery life isn't too bad but an extra battery is well worth it.
Non really
0 of 1 people found this review helpful

Confirmed purchase: 16 Feb 2011

Paul, Stafford Keen amateur

Adjustable LCD/VIEWER display very useful for obtaining awkward shots which are not available through the normal eye view optic, improved focus aids good and enable spot on focusing, good all round camera for the price.
None

Confirmed purchase: 14 Jan 2013

steve, mawbray cumbria Experienced amateur

small size,lens range.
plastic feel, very poor battery life
Ease of use 10.0
Features 10.0
Build Quality 7.0

Confirmed purchase: 12 Nov 2010

Confirmed purchaser Keen amateur

Score 8.0/10
Good screen inside and out.
Controls fairly intuitive (the camera replaced a Minolta 5D).
Images are good and I like the ISO flexibility.
No problems so far with compatibility to my existing Sigma 18-200 lens.
I am not so sure about the build quality, I think its a bit flimsy for a camera in this price bracket.
I can't get on with the multi focussing as I think there are actually too many zones, but I generally prefer spot focussing anyway coming from the old school.
I have had a few problems with my external flashgun on the camera, but I think that this is the way I hold it with it being a smaller camera and I have obscured the sensor on the odd occasion so that the flash doesn't sense when to turn off.
I know that the floating hints on the menus are there to help, but they do get in the way when one is trying to read them.
Ease of use 8.0
Image quality 8.0
Build Quality 6.0
3 of 3 people found this review helpful

Confirmed purchase: 09 Nov 2010

Michael, Cobham Keen amateur

Handy size and weight. Takes legacy Konica Minolta lenses available easily and relatively cheaply on the second-hand market.. These are well-built and of very good quality. So you can assemble a set of lenses for all occasions without breaking the bank. Images from the SLT A33 tend to be slightly over-exposed, so I am now experimenting with the exposure control system to darken the images to my taste. I also find that the autofocus on the auto programmes will not always (perhaps obviously!) focus on my main subject (often the face of one of my grandchildren), so I am now mainly using aperture priority where I can specify the focus area I want, which is spot focus. This uses the focus sensor in the mid point of the frame which I then point at my target, whereafter I then reposition the viewfinder to frame the pic as required. The advantage of this approach is that the mid-point sensor is one of the three so-called cross sensors, which are much more accurate then the twelve other, standard, focus sensors. This technique has enabled me to take images consistently very sharp indeed. Whereas using the auto modes which choose which focus targets and which focus sensors to use, has led to inconsistent sharpness, admittedly in low light conditions inside the house and hence at wide apertures. These are of course unforgiving of any focussing errors.
My preliminary judgement of the Sony SLT A33 as a stills camera
is therefore very positive with the proviso that (as with most cameras) you need to experiment with the various programme/settings options to get the best results. So far I have not used the video to any extent. First impressions are that outside in bright sunlight the fact that the camera needs maximum aperture to allow the autofocus to focus continuously, the clips can result in jerky motion, when filming fast movement, e.g. a child on a swing. I need to look into this further.
So overall, not a perfect camera, but a very good one with many interesting features at a competitive price.
Reviewer left no comment
Ease of use 10.0
Image quality 9.0
Features 10.0

Confirmed purchase: 04 Feb 2011

Richard, Market Harborough Keen amateur

Score 8.0/10
Good quality camera with excellent display
So many features make the camera quite complicated to use.
Ease of use 6.0

Autofocus Yes
Changeable Lens Yes

Also known as: Sony DSLR-A33 Body Only

Digital Cameras Buyers' Guide
We searched for this product high and low,
from House of Fraser to Tesco,
no one is selling it, we're sorry to say,
not 416 retailers nor anyone on eBay,
but please don't worry even if it hurts,
you can look for alternatives or