Sigma AF150-500 F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM reviews: Lens

Photo of Sigma AF150-500 F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM Lens
  • Photo of Sigma AF150-500 F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM Lens

+ This lens has no outstanding positive points. - It scores poorly on image quality.

No prices available

Check alternatives

3. Related products

Some customer reviews of Sigma AF150-500 F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM

John, Burnham on Sea Keen Amatueure Photographer, Wildlife

Score 10.0/10
Most people will only have used a 75-300mm zoom lens so being confronted with this type of lens is quite a different experience, it's big, not light, not something you have mounted on your camera and slung around your neck. I bought this in December which turned out to be a dark one involving winding up the ASA ! I photograph wildlife, Herons and birds like that so hand-held under Winter conditions, not good but the moment I mounted it on a mono-pod, things and pictures got a lot, lot better and I doubt that has much to do with the lens itself.
To me, there are no bad points because I have nothing in 'my experience' to compare it with- I didn't own a Canon equivalent before this as an example so, I have nothing to compare it with. The only thing I can say is that you only buy this type of lens if you are into wildlife or sports so you need to learn how to use the kit and 'work with it' to get the results you want. Is that a bad point ? I'm not sure it is because Sigma always produce value for money and quality kit so, at this price point the only real gripe is the cost of the 86mm 'protective filter' you screw on the front.
Build Quality 9.0
1 of 1 people found this review helpful

Confirmed purchase: 30 Nov 2009

Dave, Shrewsbury Enthusiast photographer

Easy to use, Good solid build quality,Ideal alternative for nikon lens of similar focal length for people on a budget.
Quite heavy when hand held for a long time.
Ease of use 8.0

Confirmed purchase: 23 Mar 2010

Score 10.0/10
easy to use excellent results tad heavy but it is a big lens!
Reviewer left no comment
Ease of use 10.0
Image quality 10.0
Build Quality 10.0

Confirmed purchase: 21 Apr 2010

Pengranger, Leicester

I bought this lens to acompany my Nikon 80-200mm. It has fantastic reach, especially with the x2 teleconverter. I've got no complaints! I'm using it on a Nikon D700 and D40
Really needs to be used on a tripod or with support. The lens is very long so you need room to use it.

Confirmed purchase: 16 Mar 2010

Carl, Basingstoke Amature

What can I say, I love this lens. It's not a prime, but I never expected that, would of had no right to either at this price. On a heavily overcast day it focused quickly and tracked birds in flight perfectly on my D300s. Mine is not noisy as other have said, in fact you have trouble hearing the OS working at all. The OS is fantastic, works as well if not better than my nikon counterparts. Moon shots, hand held are really nice. Easy to use, yes I know it's a lens and there's not much to use, but what there is falls to hand really nicely. It's a realy great buy even if I don't expect to use it that often, I wouldn't change it, as the alternatives are 2-3X the size and cost. For me this is the perfect super telephoto lens
Its big and takes up most of my camera bag, it's quite heavy, I wouldn't want to shoot with it all day, But I'm happy to carry it around with me in my bag just in case I need it, I found an hour or two is OK but I was glad to put it down afterwards. Filters are expensive. Contrast could be a little better as could sharpness at the long end, but I'm able to get so much closer with this lens, so there is no need to crop and if it's critical you can always use software to add a bit of bite. Things do drop off slightly at 500, so I try not to use it past 400 as the difference between the two is nominal.
Ease of use 10.0
Build Quality 9.0

Confirmed purchase: 16 Feb 2010

Score 8.0/10
Relatively easy to use. I've not had it long so haven't puy it through its paces but so far so good. It comes in a very good carrying case.
Heavy, but you would expect that with a lens of this size and quality. A little noisier than I expected.
Ease of use 7.0
1 of 1 people found this review helpful

Confirmed purchase: 04 Jan 2010

Confirmed purchaser

price & build quality but this is expected from a manufacturer like Sigma
None.

Confirmed purchase: 03 Apr 2010

We searched for this product high and low,
from House of Fraser to Tesco,
no one is selling it, we're sorry to say,
not 419 retailers nor anyone on eBay,
but please don't worry even if it hurts,
you can look for alternatives or