Samsung SSD 840 250GB reviews

+ This hard drive scores high on design. - It has no outstanding negative points.

No prices available

SSDs are still expensive

Confirmed purchase: 24 Oct 2013

Graham, Helston Cornwall

Fast. Relatively low cost
My HDD was failing and the migration software worked first time with no problems.
I now have a machine that is much faster on start up and loading programs.
Really pleased.
Nothing so far but only had it a few weeks so can not really comment on reliability.
Capacity 9.0

Confirmed purchase: 23 Oct 2013

Colin, STOCKTON-ON-TEES Retired

Score 8.0/10
I have been contemplating buying another SSD drive for some time now but with prices falling all the time on these items I decided to plump again for the same model as previous. Prices have come down a lot recently and are now within moderate reach of most computer buffs or anyone wanting a quality upgrade that will add real benefits in terms of speed and ease.

I was going to do a clean install of Windows 8 and update to Windows 8.1 anyway on it so just connected it up, didn't need the magician software that comes on the disk so connected it straight up to my desktop computer, hit the format button and after only a few munutes I was ready to download Windows 8 Pro on the the disk. Reinstalled all my software over a long Friday night and have to say my machine just loves this disk.

From off position I am up and running in less than 30 secs but as my machine is usually in "sleep" mode, one hit of the space bar and within 5 seconds I am ready to go again. (A Windows 8 tip here - Since changing my password to a pin number in the options list, this is much faster as you only need to remember 4 digits).

The drive is light as a feather, off couse silent, produces no heat as it stays cold all the time and just responds quick as a flash. Programmes respond almost instantly and just the whole computer experience is far faster, smoother and easier.

Since buying the initial SSD I have now splashed out and purchased another 2. These to replace a compete standard drive that was partitioned into sections. I have now moved all my docs/photo/music etc out of the users folder on the "C" drive and house them now on a SSD on the "D" drive. This frees up programme space on the main C drive and allows more space for the general douments on the D drive. It also gives an advantage in speed again as you linking info across 2 SSD units rather than across a single slower standard drive. I have still retained a standard drive within my set up for backup but will in time replace that with a SSD unit also.

I would have loved to have had larger capacityh drives but the price of the 250G version is just right now to start your system off. As prices come down, as they certainly will do over the next year or two you can move up the capacity ladder but for now I would certainly suggest jumping in.

If you are looking to move into SSD drives for the first time and unsure about the manufacturer and the drive specs etc, let me put your mind to rest by recommending this drive to you. As I say a couple of weeks now down the line and they just do what you would expect of a hard drive but a lot better!

Hope this helps. Colin.
None really but faster drives are being issued all the time so look into the read/write times carefully. If price is an issue then dont be put off by higher prices for quicker drives. As long as you put your system on the C drive and your SSD is the C drive you will gain major speed benefits across your machine....consider moving your documents to a standard drive on D.
Performance 8.0
Reliability 8.0
Capacity 5.0

Confirmed purchase: 19 Oct 2013

Mark, IT Professional

The best single upgrade I have done.
A bit more expensive than I would like, but the prices are coming down.

Confirmed purchase: 16 Dec 2013

None so far

Confirmed purchase: 02 Oct 2013

Also known as: Samsung 840

Manufacturer's Description

Performance that makes your PC seem brand new
• Upgrade your PC in only three simple steps
• Experience faster performance than an HDD
• Enjoy enhanced multitasking with Windows 8
• Trust in reliable Samsung engineering

We searched for this product high and low,
from House of Fraser to Tesco,
no one is selling it, we're sorry to say,
not 419 retailers nor anyone on eBay,
but please don't worry even if it hurts,
you can look for alternatives or