Olive 3HD Music Server reviews

This hi fi is a good all rounder.

No prices available

Score 8.0/10
Excellent sound.
Responsive controls.
Small screen.
Screen information takes some getting used to.
Lack of Wi-fi.
Slow loading of CD info.
Back up seems to be done in some form of Olive code.
Compatibility 7.0
Speed 8.0
Performance 9.0
Reliability 8.0
Noise level 9.0

Confirmed purchase: 21 Feb 2011

Steve, West Midlands

Score 10.0/10
A very easy to use hard drive based music player. I have read two reviews in the UK hi-fi press, one quite glowing & the other more qualified. The former is spot-on and the latter inaccurate in my view. The Olive replaced a 400 pound CD player and easily outperforms it, with a very revealing sound. I have seen some comments on discussion forums about what the Olive O3HD lacks, mostly an optical output, and prejudicial assumptions that this product only appeals to technophobes. I was considering a RAID configured NAS as an alternative to the Olive and would have had no problem in setting that up. I am glad I choose the Olive because everyone else enjoys the simple ease of use that it provides and the silent operation. There are a variety of options to operate the device; the brick-like remote control is the least favourite for anything but the basics. The touchscreen is a good feature but I usually use the iPod/iPhone app or the Mastro software on a laptop (or whatever device you have to hand). I prefer the latter and with the Olive hard wired into my home network, those two control options are then wireless through my router. If the Olive seems to have just what you want in a music storage/player device, I do not think you will be disappointed but take the 30 day trial offered by some hi-fi dealers to confirm that.
An optical out would have been a useful connection option for those who think it important, but I do not think it is a deal breaker or performance compromise. Like all computer based appliances, the Olive has a few minor quirks but again nothing that is hard to live with and the recent firmware update has removed the most niggling and I expect ongoing improvements. The loading of CDs onto the Olive via its internal disc ripper is slow in the uncompressed formats that I use and at about 6-8 minutes per CD is twice as long as my laptop doing the same thing. I stuck with the Olive ripper in the hope that the drive would provide a better quality and error free rip than my budget laptop, but I have loaded some music wirelessly via the laptop and I can't say I have noticed any serious loss of quality. You do need to back up the Olive onto a seperate hard drive so that the ripping is only done the once and that takes forever. just like it would with a NAS. I have used 375 Gb of the 500 Gb available and that was nearly 24 hours of back-up with the Olive unusable until completion (but it is a once in a blue moon job)..
Compatibility 10.0
Speed 10.0
Performance 10.0
Reliability 10.0
Noise level 10.0
2 of 2 people found this review helpful

Confirmed purchase: 14 Oct 2010

Great sound quality, easy to use, gets you enjoying your back catalogue of music again.
album artwork can be a bit hit and miss, easily sorted out in Maestro though.
Compatibility 9.0

Release date 2010-10-28
HiFi Buyers' Guide

Manufacturer's Description

Olive O3HD Music Server
The most affordable way to turn your stereo into a digital HD Music System.

We searched for this product high and low,
from House of Fraser to Tesco,
no one is selling it, we're sorry to say,
not 408 retailers nor anyone on eBay,
but please don't worry even if it hurts,
you can look for alternatives or