The D5000 is a powerful and versatile SLR camera that delivers superb still images and high-definition D-movie clips with sound. Incredibly easy to use, it boasts a range of automatic features that help capture the shots you want and an impressive 12.3 megapixel DX format image sensor that ensures exceptionally detailed results. The innovative vari-angle LCD monitor makes it easy to shoot from any angle, bringing an exciting new twist to using Live View. Whether you shoot still or moving images, you can flip, tilt or turn the monitor to take shots from above, below, to the side, or to create self-portraits. An array of automatic scene modes make it simple to capture clear images in a variety of situations and a range of retouch functions let you enhance photos in-camera. With so many powerful features packed into its compact, lightweight body, the D5000 offers people on the go a fantastic way to capture stunning shots from any angle.
- 2.7-inch vari-angle LCD monitor with downward-opening mechanism makes it easy to capture images from any angle and still keep a steady grip on the camera. When not in use it can be closed with the LCD panel facing the camera for protection.
- D-Movie lets you record beautiful high-definition (HD) movie clips with sound. The cameras large image sensor and high ISO sensitivity offer exceptional image quality. A wide range of interchangeable NIKKOR lenses can be used to obtain cinematic effects and you can view your movie clips on the camera or an HDTV.
- Live View with subject tracking: Live View mode lets you compose images using the LCD monitor. Four easily selectable AF modes assure sharp results: Face priority AF, Wide area AF, Normal area AF and Subject Tracking AF, which keeps the camera focused on a moving subject even if it leaves the frame for a moment.
- 12.3 megapixel DX format CMOS image sensor lets you capture outstandingly detailed images and produce stunningly sharp enlargements.
- High ISO (200-3200) light sensitivity, extendable up to ISO 6400 (equivalent) and down to ISO 100 (equivalent). Enables faster shutter speeds, significantly reducing the risk of blurred images when you shoot fast-moving subjects or take pictures in low light.
- Integrated dust reduction system: Image Sensor Cleaning and Airflow Control systems keep dust away from the cameras image sensors for clear, spot-free images.
- Advanced autofocus performance with versatile Multi-CAM100 11-point AF system offers fast and precise autofocus coverage across the frame. Four AF-area modes, including 3D-tracking AF, deliver sharp results, whether your subject is off-center, moving fast or completely unpredictable.
- Scene Recognition System optimizes exposure, autofocus, and white balance immediately before the shutter is released, to deliver precise exposures and sharply-defined images.
- EXPEED image processing system for optimum performance and maximum image quality.
- Active D-Lighting automatically retains details in highlights and shadows for stunning images with natural contrast. It works at the moment you take the shot, features four levels of intensity and can be activated manually or automatically.
- Scene Modes automatically adjust camera settings, including Picture Controls and active D-Lighting, to take the guesswork out of tricky photo situations and deliver optimal results. Simply turn the mode dial to SCENE to access the most commonly used modes. Sample photos appear on the display to help you select the right mode and there are 19 to choose from.
- Extensive in-camera Retouch Menu lets you edit and enhance images in the camera. Offers a range of photo effects including Perspective Control, Soft Focus and Color Outline, which transforms your photo into a line drawing.
- Picture Controls let you set the look and mood of your photos or D-Movie clips before you shoot. Choose from six settings: Standard, Vivid, Neutral, Monochrome, Portrait and Landscape.
- Highly durable 100,000-cycle shutter unit: provides exceptional reliability. Thoroughly tested on fully assembled cameras, it delivers precise shutter control.
- Quiet shooting mode: perfect for photographing a sleeping baby, Quiet mode noticeably reduces the sound of the cameras internal mechanisms when the shutter is pressed.
- Extensive playback functions including a calendar view that organizes images according to the date and time they were shot, a 72-frame thumbnail display and histograms of magnified sections within an image. HDTV compatibility: the built-in High Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) connector makes it easy to watch your photos and movie clips on an HDTV. Simply connect a compatible HDMI cable between your camera and the TV.
- NIKKOR lenses: optimized for use with AF-S and AF-I NIKKOR lenses, renowned for delivering outstanding sharpness, crisp contrast and precise color reproduction.
- Global Positioning System (GPS) via an optional GP-1 unit that attaches to the camera and automatically records location information such as latitude, longitude, altitude and time as geotags in the image data (EXIF) of each photo.
*Autofocus is not available when recording movies.