Lenovo ThinkPad L540 20AV002Y reviews and prices: 15.6" Laptop computer

+ This laptop has no outstanding positive points. - It scores very poorly on design.

No prices available

Lenovo ThinkPad L540 20AV002Y with Intel i5 4200M 2.5 GHz , 4GB of Memory and 500GB Storage on Windows. 7 hours of battery See full product description

People Also Viewed

2 of 6 people found this review helpful

Confirmed purchase: 26 May 2014

anthony, Oxford General home user

Score 8.0/10
Does what we wanted it to do very well.
A bit pricey. Quite complex choosing the exact spec. In fact we made a small mistake.
Design 8.0
Size and weight 8.0
Performance 9.0

Confirmed purchase: 26 Jan 2015

Nirmaljit, General home user

Score 4.0/10
Build is good,fast and responsive
Terrible battery life, which was the reason I chose this one than the competitors, roughly 2-3 hrs on full charge, expensive, not value for money at all!Could have bought two of the competitors for the same price.
Battery life 1.0
Design 3.0
Size and weight 5.0
Performance 7.0
1 of 2 people found this review helpful

Confirmed purchase: 25 Apr 2014

Chris, Newtown Business user

Score 5.0/10
Lots of USB ports. It has 3 usb 2 ports and 1 USB 3 port so I have plenty of places to plug in the various dongles needed for music editing software.

the keyboard is very comfortable to use.

The no glare display is soft on the eyes and easy to look at for hrs at a time.

There is NOT a lot of bloatware preinstalled so I didn't have to spend an afternoon removing programs I didn't want.
the new 1 button track pad is very difficult to use if you are trying to edit video, music, or photo's.

the 1st time I booted the computer I was receiving error messages regarding drivers that were not correctly installed.

The network adapter doesn't turn it's self back on when the computer comes out of sleep mode so not only do you have to manually reconnect to the network but you also have to manually reset the network adapter every single time the computer goes into sleep mode.

the finger print reader doesn't automatically turn back on after it goes into sleep mode so you can't just swipe your finger to get into the computer. It does work when rebooting after a shutdown but I only reboot the laptop once a day and I wake it up from sleep mode 10 to 20 times a day.

The battery life is nowhere near as long as advertised. Even with the computer set to run as minimum power consumption and the computer is sitting idle it only get a maximum of 3.5hrs off the upgraded 56+ battery. With real world power settings I can surf the web for around 2.5hrs before the battery dies and if I want to want a DVD then I get less than 2 hrs. A far cry from the 11+ hrs that Lenovo advertised

No HDMI out.
1 of 2 people found this review helpful

Confirmed purchase: 21 Apr 2015

Maria, London

Score 7.0/10
I had no real favourite bits I chose the laptop on the basis that there are very few available loaded with Windows 7 - as against 8 - and it has a good resolution screen
Number one bad point for me is that I am missing a substantial no of GB from the SSD (18!) and when I spoke to support they told ne this is normal. I think this is a: bad response from the helpdesk with no effort to resolve the issue; b: bad for a laptop with good reputation.
Second point I find irritating that there no light showing cap and number lock is on.
Battery life 5.0

Size and weight 9.0
Performance 10.0

Confirmed purchase: 04 Apr 2014

Timothy, London General home user

I like the screen quality, my photos look very good. I also like the keyboard, very comfortable to use. It seems fast, and is a pleasure to use. I selected Lenovo because I have been using a Thinkpad for a few years at my work, and have found it very reliable and robust. Others have told me how reliable these laptops are. I am hoping to get the same reliability from my recent purchase.
I do not like Windows 8. I seem to have a bewildering selection of Apps, most I guess I will have to download and pay for. I would rather start with less, and decide for myself what to put onto my computer. I know I could have selected Windows 7, but do not want to get "out of date". It would have been good to have some basics (like an Adobe reader) loaded as standard, or at least advice of free downloads that are recommended.
Design 9.0

Depth in cm 24.7

Also known as: Lenovo ThinkPad L540 Core

Laptop Buyers Guide

Manufacturer's Description

Improvements in LCD design and smaller internal antenna result in a reduced bezel size – actually 20% smaller than previous generations – yet ThinkPads deliver legendary reliability and meet or exceed rigorous military-specification standards. Plus these notebooks lie flat, at a 180-degree angle, adding enhanced flexibility for use and sharing. Enjoy superior web conferencing on your L540, which includes a low-light sensitive 720p HD webcam with wide-angle viewing and face-tracking, dual noise-canceling microphones with configurations for crystal-clear private and conference mode VOIP meetings, plus, convenient multimedia keys for quick and easy access to microphone, speaker, and camera controls.

We searched for this product high and low,
from House of Fraser to Tesco,
no one is selling it, we're sorry to say,
not 417 retailers nor anyone on eBay,
but please don't worry even if it hurts,
you can look for alternatives or