Hannspree HQ271HPG reviews and prices: : 27" Monitor

This monitor is a good all rounder.

£200 – £244 at 8 retailers out of 419 retailers checked

Hannspree HQ271HPG: 27" 1440 x 2560 with HDMI, VGA, DVI and . See full product description

Some customer reviews of Hannspree HQ271HPG

John, Kent

Score 8.0/10
Very good match to the iMac screen for a very good price
Chrome vertical section on the stand
How easy to set-up 9.0
Image quality 9.0
Build Quality 7.0

Confirmed purchase: 13 Jun 2016

Lee, Abercynon Tech Enthusiast

The HannsG HQ 271 HPG 27" 2K WQHD IPS Monitor was the cheapest QHD (2560x1440) monitor I could find. To be honest, for less than £200 I wasn't expecting much but when it arrived I was pleasantly surprised. When I took it out of the box the monitor is in 2 parts, you have the main IPS panel and the base/stand. The panel was surprisingly light and the base/stand was surprisingly heavy which is a very good thing when it comes to stability. It took about 2 minute to put the stand on correctly by using a built in thumb screw on the base then I had my first look at the monitor on my desk and it actually looks more premium than my other UHD panel that cost considerably more! There is however a 2.5cm black border that surrounds the viewable part of the screen, this will annoy some people but you have to realise that this monitor costs less than £200. If you want a 27" QHD/1440p panel that has zero border expect to pay around the £400-500 mark.
So next step is connecting the monitor to my PC, unfortunately the HQ271 only comes with an old style VGA/D-Sub cable which is great if you have an older machine but I have a GTX 1060 which supports the DVI-D (Not the DVI-I) and HDMI (My GPU also has 3xDisplayPort but this monitor does not support these). After reading other peoples reviews of this monitor I was under the impression that to run this monitor at its full QHD/2560x1440 you would HAVE to use the DVI connector, I had ordered a DVI-D cable at the same time but it did not arrive with this monitor so I opted to just use HDMI until my cable arrived, it was easy enough to connect things and when I booted my PC I was shocked to find that the monitor was infact running at its max setting of 2560x1440p @ 60hz over the HDMI. This was great and made me very happy, because if I was using the DVI-D cable I would also need to use a 3.5mm audio cable to connect my PC to the monitor for sound (a cable is supplied but was nowhere near long enough for my setup).
Next step was configuring the monitor, it was completely PnP and Windows 10 did not need any drivers downloading although it is detected as Generic PNP monitor in the device manager but under the NVidia control pannel it was correctly detected as the HQ271 HPG. The settings it ships with are pretty bad and I found that everything was very dark and very hard to use. The controls to change this are located on the right side behind the panel and are clearly marked on the front of the monitor, I found them easy to access but I can see that some people may have trouble with this. The menu system is a pain to use and I hate it, after making sure that I had sRGB selected (Very important for Photoshop/Video editing work) I calibrated the display using Windows and had it setup to my tastes. After owning the Monitor for a week now, I found the Display to be extremely good, colours seem vibrant, text is very sharp, blacks are very black, video is great and 1440p content on Youtube is a pleasure to watch. This monitor is very good for gaming also, the sweet spot for 1440p panels are 27" in my opinion and I have enjoyed using this monitor every day. If your PC can handle games at 1440p then this monitor is a great choice especially at the current price. The monitors specs list this as a 60hz monitor. HOWEVER, I have also seen its maximum refresh rate listed as 75hz .. Being a bit of a performance geek I pretty much overclock everything I own, its extra performance for free right? So using the Nvidia control panel I setup some custom profiles, I tried various refresh rates @ 2560x1440p upto 75hz and the monitor had NO trouble displaying all of them. So I am currently running this monitor at 2560x1440 @ 75hz , this monitor possibly could even go higher in terms of refresh rates but I have not tried it yet. Also to get this resolution/refresh rate combo you will probably need to use a decent HDMI cable or use the DVI port on the monitor, I am currently using a high speed HDMI 1.4a cable.
Now Negatives for the HQ271.. Even though I love this monitor it does have its faults and you have to realise that in order to get a UHD/1440p panel for less than £200 there are going to be trade offs.
The biggest problem for me is the built in user interface that you need to use to configure the monitor's settings. You have to press 1 of 4 keys to navigate through the system but it has the most non-intuitive way of doing things which made me swear at it on a few occasions when I just wanted to change the brightness or saturation while configuring and calibrating it for my PC. BUT, saying that I have just discovered that the monitor supports DDCCI or Display Data Channel. This allows you to configure the monitors settings by using an application in Windows (or Linux/Mac) without the need to use the stupid menu system (I use a free app called ScreenBright but if you google you will find more).
The next negative would be another user interface problem, when your PC switches resolutions or goes fullscreen mode, you will get a notification pop up on the screen informing you that you have signal input on hdmi (or whatever input you are using). This isn't exactly a huge problem but its more of an annoying inconvenience as it happens every time I run a game that isn't running at the native 2540x1440 resolution of the monitor. It would have been great if they could have given an option to turn this off in the firmware menus.
The next negative could be quite a problem for some people, I have found that when I have the monitor hooked upto my PC via DVI-D the screen only turns on once windows has loaded. This essentially means you miss the POST when you turn the PC on so it makes getting into the BIOS/UEFI a bit of a hassle but if you have a problem and it stops you loading windows then you are essentially stuck unless you can connect your PC via HDMI or have a spare monitor you can use. If you have a modern PC from the last 4 years there are utilities that allow you to get into the BIOS/UEFI settings inside of windows or even reboot into UEFI but this is a hassle. My theory on this is this problem is limited to certain GPU/Graphics cards, that the drivers need to be loaded before the GPU can output to the DVI port, if you have a PC that is using a built in GPU like the AMD APU's or some of the Intel i7's then I think you would be fine.
There are no DVI-D / HDMI cables included with the monitor you ONLY get a VGA/D-Sub cable and a 3.5mm male to 3.5mm male cable , this can be a problem if you don't have the correct cable. I find this very strange as this is a QHD monitor and who would buy this monitor if they had a old GPU that only allowed them to use a VGA cable? I doubt the GPU would even support the native resolution of the HQ271. They should have at least included a cheap HDMI cable, the cables cost virtually nothing so I find this inexcusable.
The monitor has built in speakers, I wont go into much detail on these as they are really bad, there is virtually no bass on them and sound very tinny. To be able to use them if you are connecting the HQ217 to a PC via DVI or VGA you will need to use the included 3.5mm jack, the cable was very short however so you'll probably need to buy a longer one.
Even though I am impressed by the visual output quality of the IPS panel it is not the best I have seen, the glass surface of the panel is extremely reflective and you can quite clearly see yourself reflected if you are displaying a dark image or video which is quite annoying. This also applies to any light source behind you, it reflects the light and will take some time to get used to. But like I said, to get a panel this cheap there will be trade offs and a non reflective matt surface is one of them.
Sorry for the long review but I just want to make potential buyers aware of all the facts, I couldn't find a single review of this model of the panel on any of the main tech websites and at the time I was buying the reviews on reevoo were limited and did not have a lot of info and feed back on the product. Hopefully this has helped someone. Even though there are a few negatives with this monitor I really like it and I'm glad I bought it. Overall, I would recommend this if you are on a budget and want a QHD/1440p monitor, you wont find better QHD hardware for the same price.
How easy to set-up 7.0

Product Retailer Price Total price Buy now
HannsG HQ271HPG 27" 2K WQHD IPS Monitor
HannsG HQ271HPG 27" 2K WQHD IPS Monitor £200 delivery cost may apply Go

In stock

Hannspree HQ271HPG 27 IPS LED 2560 x 1440 16_9 7ms VGA DVI HDMI Speakers Monitor £209 delivery cost may apply

Out of stock

Hanns.G HQ271HPG Metallic Copper 27-Inch HS-IPS 2K Ultra HD Gloss LED Monitor - Black

£210 delivery cost may apply Go