Belkin Play Max ADSL router reviews

This router is a good all rounder.

No prices available

ADSL, ADSL See full product description
  3. Expert reviews
  5. Related products

Some customer reviews of Belkin Play Max ADSL router

Stephen, Bartlett Intermediate\advanced online gamer

Score 10.0/10
Easy to set up, took about 5 mins. You need to know your vpi, vci and connection type ETC. If you don't know this all you have to do is a quick Google on your ISP broadband settings. Compared to the home Hub 2 & 3 you get a lot stronger internet signal. If you’re a gamer it will detect when you’re playing an online game on the pc or Xbox and assign you a higher bandwidth, and the correct ports. The QoS works a treat. Dual Band Wireless is also very helpful as my Xbox and PS3 use’s the less cultured 5GHz channel. The torrent downloader is a great idea, as I don’t have to leave my pc on all night downloading for me, it downloads it to a memory stick inserted behind it. Since I’ve got this router I don’t notice any difference between my Xbox being hard wired or wireless. Overall this is a great router. Don’t listen to the bad reviews. This Router is for someone with a little internet knowledge and not a noob, as they won’t get it working. They should stick to routers sent out by their ISP’s with preinstalled software you can’t change.
Would have been nice to have a list of all the most popular ISP internet settings preinstalled, but that’s nothing Google can’t handle. Also it is a big Router with only one LED (Would of been nice to have a OLED display showing you’re up/download speed) but that would off pushed the price up.
How easy to set-up 8.0
Performance 10.0
Functionality 10.0

Confirmed purchase: 29 Mar 2011

Robert, Swindon, UK Gamer

Score 6.0/10
The router is very easy to set up and using the Belkin router monitor site to tweak settings and view performance is great. I was able to connect my PS3 and Sony Vaio laptop without any trouble... Except speed.
Bigest let down about this router is the speed, I bought this to replace my Orange Live Box wireless modem router however when I connected the laptop my wireless speed dropped from 5.5mb to 4.5mb and my PS3 dropped from 5.5mb to 1.5mb! I though the two ariels and less interferance was meant to improve the speed? As a final resort I tested the laptop plugged into the two routers and again the N600 Play was 1mb slower. Whilst it does achieve "HD speed" it doesn't beat my free router.

I have taken the N600 back to the shop.
How easy to set-up 10.0
Performance 3.0
Functionality 9.0

Confirmed purchase: 28 Mar 2011

Steven, Portsmouth

Score 4.0/10
Has a lot of features for the money, its simple to set-up and it looks discreet (no flashy lights to distract you)
Although the initial setup was easy, I found the advanced features lacking. After around 48 hrs, websites would fail to load entirely, and some would struggle to start. Resetting the unit helped for a short time but ultimately it failed. i sent it back and bought a Netgear router which works 100% of the time.
Compatibility 7.0
Performance 5.0
Reliability 3.0

Confirmed purchase: 28 Dec 2012

Thomas, York

Score 1.0/10
Non
Do not waste your money buying this product. Perceivered with this router on my telephone line for 3 months. Constantly drops connection with the ISP or PC whether connected wirelessly or via network cable. Working with my ISP we confirmed it was not them. Partner and I run our own businesses so we have 2 separate lines in to the property; one is BT the other talktalk. Tried router on talktalk for a month and still had the same problem. Returned to retailer who agreed to exchange it. Purchased Netgear N300 (DGND3300) best thing I could have done, line speed is even up by 500kbs
Compatibility 5.0
Performance 1.0
Reliability 1.0
1 of 2 people found this review helpful

Confirmed purchase: 23 Oct 2010

Robert, Dudley i know my stuff

Basicaly, it does what it says it can on the box with one exception, i havent been able to get Vuze to work when the computer is turned off yet. Im still working on this and havent had time to mess too much,
As I said above about Vuze
How easy to set-up 9.0
Performance 9.0
Functionality 9.0

Confirmed purchase: 19 Apr 2011

Confirmed purchaser

Score 2.0/10
None I sent it back
Difficult to set up. Had to phone Belkin 3 times. It was slower than our exsisting cheaper router. The rest of the house could go online but the main computer that I set it up on could not connect. It kept changing the password without my knowledge so it became un useable. When it did say there was a problem it told me to contact Belkin but there was no contact number anywhere on the box or instructions.
How easy to set-up 2.0
Performance 2.0
Functionality 2.0
8 of 8 people found this review helpful

Confirmed purchase: 16 Dec 2010

Ross, Glasgow

Score 1.0/10
Vuze software.
Could not use the WPA wireless feature as apparently my pc was to old (2 years), however I didnt have a problem with my existing router.
Very slow speeds if you connect an external harddrive to the router.
Did not have a very good experience at all with his item.
Compatibility 1.0

USB Hub Yes
VoIP No
Release date 2010-05-20

Also known as: Belkin Play Max Wireless Router

We searched for this product high and low,
from House of Fraser to Tesco,
no one is selling it, we're sorry to say,
not 419 retailers nor anyone on eBay,
but please don't worry even if it hurts,
you can look for alternatives or