Acer Revo Build M1-601 PC Reviews: Computer

This desktop computer is a good all rounder.

£120 at 1 retailer out of 419 retailers checked

Acer Revo Build M1-601 with , and on . See full product description
  3. Expert reviews

Some customer reviews of Acer Revo Build M1-601

Bilal, London Keen gamer

Score 10.0/10
Worth £60 however you won't find any accessories for this and will need to install another operating system for this to be any use.

I have put Windows 10 and using is with plex and general internet. Cup does struggle if you do too much but find for playing 1080p and Internet.
Cannot find accessories. documentation does not help on how to install another operating system. With no operating system this box is not that good value for money so wouldn't pay more then £60 for it. Not all Linux os work with this box
How easy to set-up 3.0
Software bundle 1.0
1 of 1 people found this review helpful

Confirmed purchase: 29 Apr 2016

Richard, Bedfordshire General user

Score 6.0/10
Nice small size, Win10 installs easily and runs ok'ish with the 2gb ram, upgrading the ram is easy, takes normal and low volt memory.
SSD is surface mounted on systemboard, no Sata port to be able to upgrade the SDD/Drive, only 3x USB ports, not that fast overal but ok for a media player.
How easy to set-up 8.0
Software bundle 3.0
How easy to connect to internet 9.0

Confirmed purchase: 25 Nov 2016

David, Liverpool General user

Score 8.0/10
Nice and compact, easy to setup, installed linux mint without issue, works well
Poor software included
How easy to set-up 9.0
Software bundle 4.0
How easy to connect to internet 9.0

Confirmed purchase: 21 May 2016

Martin,

Score 8.0/10
I need a small form factor to use as a word processor, free from the temptations of social media, internet and games. At 1.6G it's not reallly fast enough to play games so it will be only for writing. I have also got myself a copy of windows 10 to install, yet, at this time I await to receive my copy. I whish now I bought the Revo with windows already installed.
The unit isn't ultra noisey but you can hear the fan in the background whirling away like a timid hair dryer. I'm accustomed to such backgroud hum and believe the fan will settle after installing the operating system. Bios is rather basic. The usb on the side is neat. I use the HDMI socket plugged into my Seiki telly, that's 720P, it looks good, well, freedos looks good. No VGA/SVGA, good because these things are clunky. It has one of those display ports instead. Neat. Comes with wire keyboard, although nothing special, it is functional and comfortable to write with. I plugged in my wireless keyboard and it works without trouble. The mouse is a mouse with 'acer' writen on it, just incase you forget. I've ordered a touch screen LG monitor as the display unit. I have become accustomed to using a tablet; I feel it would be beneficial to continue in my own work flow. I've not had one of these ultra compacts before, yet the Revo size and weight make it mobile, (without screen). I can borrow one at the library if they let me. The Acer Nettop comes with a handy compartment in the lid. It can fit several SD cards rather nicely. Writers like to keep copies. Oh, and the LED is white. First white LED for me. Reminds me of the head lamps I had on my scale electric cars.
I see on the web this unit has extra modular components that can be added, but I'm not all that interested in these; the Revo is for writing. Power brick is small with plenty of lead. Upgrade to memory looks easy enough, although the drive upgrade looks dificult as access requires removing the lid. I'll be sticking with the stock items for a little while. And my daughter likes popcorn and the other daughter is reading lots on her kindle, nothing to do with the Revo but I just thought I'd throw that in there.
Price; I got this for a steal in notes.
Not at this price. There are better machines this size but at higher cost.
How easy to set-up 3.0

Confirmed purchase: 20 Aug 2016

Ian, Derbyshire General user

Score 8.0/10
Cheapest easy Linux box I could easily make (short of Raspberry Pi dabbling). Not powerful, but I didn't need it to be.

It's more powerful than Compute sticks, happily installs Linux, and is cheaper too.

With Linux Mint 17.n and Ubuntu 14.04, the wifi doesn't work out of the box; but with Ubuntu 16.04 it does, so assume Mint 18 will, as it's based on 16.04.
FreeDOS is not great, but I replaced that with Linux immediately anyway.

The CPU is slow, and it's not easy to upgrade the SSD, but at the price, if it's powerful enough for your requirements, it's an absolute steal at a tad less than £80
How easy to set-up 6.0

Confirmed purchase: 18 May 2016

Tuk, General user

Score 6.0/10
Excellent price for what it is
Runs Linux well
Good selection of ports
Upgradeable RAM (up to 8GB)
Fan noise
Processor struggles with some tasks
No way to upgrade hard disk
How easy to set-up 6.0
Software bundle 4.0
How easy to connect to internet 7.0

Confirmed purchase: 03 May 2016

Gaurav, Manchester, UK Music & entertainment fan

Score 7.0/10
Great small device, simple to connect and boot with software when needed, easy to store and tuck away, easy to upgrade ram if needed..
For a basic computer which can play the odd video files, browse the net etc, it's great.
The whole point of the product is that you can buy other module blocks to attach onto this nettop.. so far though, the only thing I can see you can attach is an external hard drive (which you can get from here but overseas). A bit disappointing in the pov but it is a nifty little device.
Just a warning, if you're looking to upgrade the ram, you won't get much use out of a 8GB stick as the speed of the computer is stopped by the lower level of processor inside the unit. Better off with 4gb max.
How easy to set-up 7.0
How easy to connect to internet 10.0

Confirmed purchase: 03 May 2016

Also known as: ACER Revo Build, ACER Revo M1-601, Acer Revo M1601

Manufacturer's Description

Product Retailer Price Total price Buy now
Acer Revo M1601 Nettop, Intel Celeron N3050 1.6GHz, 2GB RAM, 32GB SSD, WLAN, Free DOS £120 delivery cost may apply Go

In stock