Jessops 360AFD Digital Flashgun For Canon reviews

Photo of Jessops 360AFD Digital Flashgun For Canon Camcorder Accessory

+ This camcorder accessory has no outstanding positive points. - It scores poorly on ease of use.

No prices available

See full product description
  4. Related products

Some customer reviews of Jessops 360AFD Digital Flashgun For Canon

karlton, London

It works perfectly
Would be good if it could have full auto when in bounce position.
Performance 10.0
1 of 1 people found this review helpful

Confirmed purchase: 17 Oct 2012

Jason, Swadlincote

Score 10.0/10
Works perfect with camera, easy to use and built well.
Exceptional value for money.
None
Performance 9.0
2 of 2 people found this review helpful

Confirmed purchase: 15 Dec 2012

Trish, Stonehaven Enthusiastic Amateur

Score 10.0/10
Much better than I expected. Feels quite substantial, nice buttons, does what it says on the box. Easy to set up - works with both the 1000d and 450d. Also works off camera. Nothing to compare it against, and bought as I have never used a flashgun before and so didn't want to spend a lot at the moment. Overall, very pleased with my purchase
Haven't found any yet, but not had it very long.
Performance 10.0

Confirmed purchase: 07 Sep 2011

Rich, Leeds

Score 3.0/10
On paper this flash seemed an excellent buy, so I did buy it. The ability to use in complete AUTO mode was useful, but with the option to override the AUTO allowing the essential adjustment of power from full power down to 1/16th.

Tilt & swivel is also an essential feature in any flash and I was impressed to find that this flash came with both.

My Sigma EF-500 ST broke, and although I have a cheapo Jessops flash as a 2nd back-up unit, I needed an emergency replacement for the Sigma for a wedding I was shooting. The intention was to make the 360AFD as my back-up when I'd replaced my Sigma.
I've scored this a 6 for compatibility for 2 key reasons;

1) I found that I was unable to adjust the flash compensation in camera. This is an essential feature and although I could physically reduce the compensation in camera, the results were unchanged.

2) The fit onto the hot-shoe was poor, and sometimes didn't register with the camera. I had to wiggle the unit until a good connection was made on many occasions.

I've scored this a 1 for performance;

This is mainly due to (but not exclusively due to) the sheer inconsistency of the flash. I found that the outcome was different despite the camera settings being the same and the subject and ambient lighting being the same. The flash seemed to frequently 'dump' all of it's power, literally 'blowing out' the entire scene. Also, and very oddly, in MANUAL mode, the power outputs were nonsense, in fact, with all settings exactly the same as in AUTO mode, the outcome was a terribly over exposed scene. Oddly, with the camera in TV mode (1/250th @ f/8) the outcome was actually good in comparison to the camera being in Av mode (1/250th @ f/8) which again, resulted in over exposure.

I've scored this a 1 for value for money;

Basically because, even if the flash unit was just a quid, it would still be over-priced, simply because it doesn't work, with limited to no control in MANUAL mode despite MANUAL mode being available and the outputs being terribly over exposed in the majority of cases.

My overall rating is 3;

Taking everything into account, this flash although is easy to use (I scored this a 10), lacks consistency and control. For the price, I would be happy to forego the build quality which is okay, but it is let down in the areas of performance and compatibility.

In my job I need to move fast, get consistent results that are of the required quality. For just 50% more spend, I have purchased the Sigma EF-530 ST which, if it performs as well as my broken EF-500 ST, I'll be very happy.

My recommendation would be to steer well away from this flash, spend a little more money, for a much better unit. Of course if money isn't an issue then you must buy a Canon flash from the Speedlight range.
Compatibility 6.0
Performance 1.0

Confirmed purchase: 07 Aug 2010

Graeme, Poole

Simple to use, works well. Comes complete with built in diffuser & bounce attachments. Very good value for the money.
Not a 'Speedlight' but for the price....
Performance 9.0

Confirmed purchase: 06 Nov 2013

Mark, Brighton UK Simple man complicated world

Score 10.0/10
Great value for money and pretty easy to use
Eats batteries and can be a bit prone to over exposure so you need to fiddle with the exposure compensation sometimes...but at this price its not really a biggie problem :)
Ease of use 8.0
Performance 7.0
1 of 1 people found this review helpful

Confirmed purchase: 04 Apr 2012

Martin , Leicester

Score 7.0/10
I found the flash to do what i need until i can afford to upgrade to a faster flash. Below are my findings from my purchase.
Swivel head, low light beam assist (emitted from the front). built in diffuser and reflector (Bit flimsy, but the option is always available to purchase an external clip on diffuser). The flash can be used as a slave,and also comes with its own stand for off camera use. Remote trigger compatible.

The flash is ideal for Starters/Amateurs in photography who are looking to gain experience with using flash.
If you can afford the extra i would recommended Canons own brand of flashes.
Build quality is a bit cheap and plastic and know doubt a throw away bit of kit in a year or two, but i suppose this is reflected with price! battery compartment door very flimsy and could easily break off. On&Off button and Slave On&Off button could be re-designed so either switch is not so easily switched on thus draining battery life or hold in slave mode and will not fire when mounted on the Hot-shoe. but i guess this would be down to a bit of checking before and after the shoot or when removing from ones camera bag. Flash re-charge time is a bit slow so don't expect it to work on rapid burst mode very well!
Performance 7.0

Confirmed purchase: 02 Sep 2013

Also known as: 360AFD Digital Flashgun for Canon

We searched for this product high and low,
from House of Fraser to Tesco,
no one is selling it, we're sorry to say,
not 376 retailers nor anyone on eBay,
but please don't worry even if it hurts,
you can look for alternatives or