Acer Aspire One ZG5 reviews: Laptop computer

This laptop is a good all rounder.

No prices available

Acer Aspire One ZG5 with , and on . See full product description

Some customer reviews of Acer Aspire One ZG5

Keith, Fife, Scotland General home user

The Acer Aspire One is very portable, I can take it almost anywhere. For the price paid it is worth every penny.

Unlike other laptops/netbooks there are many accessories available from third parties at a fraction of the price you'd pay for the equivalent for other models. Car chargers, larger batteries etc. A twelve cell battery will give you up to 10 hours surfing the web on one charge according to available info and wont cost you that much from ebay, a lot cheaper than my 6 cell battery for my Dell 1735 that lasted 9 months on very little use (not covered by their warranty). I know that once my battery needs replaced that I wont have to pay through the nose to replace it for my Aspire, hence why I bought it and gave my Dell to the kids for their room.

If you take out the very reasonably priced 3 year extended warranty from Acer you will need to check what you are allowed to use without braking the warranty conditions, ie. accessories like aforementioned batteries. Not a problem for me as I currently don't use my battery very often and expect it to last the 3 years going by what I've read on the net. Battery capacity is still like new 4 months on so looking good so far.

TIP - When in the house, workplace, etc take your battery out and use mains power to extend battery life. Fully discharge your battery at least once a month to again extend battery life

The Aspire One plays a range of older games, though you will need to invest in a USB CD or DVD drive to use disks which are available from Acer or cheaper from ebay. I paid under a tenner for a USB CD drive when I bought mine.
The Aspire One will play video content from sites like BBC iplayer and 4OD. There is a slight amount of jump with iplayer however and it uses a lot of battery power when playing video. Remember this is a netbook and is designed primarily for surfing the web so in its defence it is good it manages that much and if you plug in the power you don't need to worry about charge.

There are only three USB ports so you may need to do a bit of swapping about of devices or invest in a USB hub if you plan to connect a few devices at once. A normal USB CD drive requires two USB ports, data and power. Add an external mouse and you've filled them all.
Battery life 7.0
Performance 7.0

Confirmed purchase: 29 Nov 2009

Confirmed purchaser Often on the move

Amazing for surfing the net, brilliant in size and a gem of a netbook :)
Reviewer left no comment
Battery life 7.0
Performance 9.0

Confirmed purchase: 11 Mar 2010

Louise, Basingstoke General home user

Score 8.0/10
Great size and looks good
Mouse is a bit fiddley until you get used to it
Battery life 5.0
Design 8.0
Performance 9.0

Confirmed purchase: 09 Nov 2009

Confirmed purchaser Often on the move

Score 10.0/10
I travel a lot, especially on the plane. Having access to the internet and to some essential computer application is extremely important. I love this Acer because it's like fitting a small book in my bag. On top of that, it loads and shuts down very quickly. It comes everywhere with me now.
Battery life is just, just enough...
Battery life 3.0
Performance 10.0

Confirmed purchase: 04 Mar 2010

Also known as: Aspire One -

Laptop Buyers Guide
We searched for this product high and low,
from House of Fraser to Tesco,
no one is selling it, we're sorry to say,
not 376 retailers nor anyone on eBay,
but please don't worry even if it hurts,
you can look for alternatives or